albert-nobbs

Albert Nobbs hits Telluride

“Albert Nobbs” premiered at the Telluride Film Festival last Friday, September 7. The reviews were fair to outstanding with glowing praise for the performances of Glenn Close and Janet McTeer. Oscar buzz is very strong for these two actresses. Here are some excerpts from notable reviews including hints about Jonathan’s small role:
WARNING: Spoilers

Mining a rich vein of the quest for personal identity and slowly but surehandedly earning its emotional resonance, “Albert Nobbs” has much more to offer than just Close’s performance. But what a performance it is: one that doesn’t merely burnish, but absolutely cements her reputation as one of the finest actresses alive. – The Playlist

Glenn Close leads an adept, uncompromising cast in Albert Nobbs, which had its premiere here last night at the Telluride Film Fest in the Galaxy Theater. Because the film, and many of its cast members, have been deliberately kept under wraps, no one knew what to expect. We all assumed we would know what we were going to get but this is a film unlike any other you’ve likely seen. You never quite know where it’s headed and it offers some startlingly beautiful scenes. Close is headed for her sixth Oscar nomination with this her most difficult and accomplished role to date. – Awards Daily

Directing his first period piece, Garcia does a fine job of evoking the era, while only partially managing to convey the circumstances that make Nobbs such a magnet for misery. “Albert Nobbs” is relatively unique among cross-dressing stories in that it takes the form of tragedy rather than full-blown farce. A wee bit of humor would have gone a long way in this dour affair, and the few glimpses we get of Victorian vice (an alcoholic butler sneaking sips from guests’ half-finished glasses, the sight of Jonathan Rhys Meyers as a wealthy viscount with same-sex persuasions) are scarcely enough to salvage the slow-motion inevitability of looming misfortune. – Variety

The screenplay hints there could be more though such as the secrets so many of the characters hide from each other including the Doctor’s affair with another maid, the rich “womanizing” lord (a completely wasted Jonathan Rhys Meyers) who plays more in bed with his best mate than with the ladies or the despised hotel owner (Pauline Collins) who is barely keeping the business a float. This theme could have worked under another director, but these tangents almost fly pointlessly by Garcia’s eye. – HitFix

The Disappearance of Finbar

1. Trisha says
    08 September 11 at 6:35pm

Love to hear that the film is getting some good buzz and Jonny’s role appears to be racy and maybe a little risque but what is the point of working if to not push the envelope and get different and creative with the parts you take on!!

2. Sheri says
    09 September 11 at 4:02pm

Looking forward to this one. Trisha…have you seen Velvet Goldmine? Jonathan was pushing the envelope even at the start of his career, it’s what makes him such a versatile performer.

3. Trisha says
    11 September 11 at 12:48pm

Yes I have and he most certainly was but that is often when actors and actresses are doing some of their best work when they are pushing the envelope and going outside the box!!! And that is true it does make him a truly versatile performer!

4. Sheri says
    16 September 11 at 7:13am

Trisha – :D Have you seen Shelter yet? It’s really good and another role where Jonathan really stretches his boundaries. I highly recommend it. It was out in video stores last week. (At least here in Ontario, Canada it was.)

5. Trisha says
    20 September 11 at 10:56am

Yes I have and he really does in that film, it really shows range and talent which what we all think Jonny to have in abundance. It is just a shame it hasn’t been formally released here in the US, doesn’t like it ever will be, which is a double shame. I actually found a copy of it and downloaded it and that is how I saw it.

6. Meghan says
    20 September 11 at 8:04pm

Looking forward to ‘Albert Nobbs’. Even if JRM does have a less-than-important role, I’m excited to see him in something new post-Tudors. Sheri – I want to see ‘Shelter’ so bad; I’ve seen the trailers for it, but I’m having a hard time getting my hands on it. :(

7. Sheri says
    05 October 11 at 3:10pm

Meghan – Where are you? I’m in Canada and I just happened to find it in the video store. If there’s any way I can help in finding you a copy, let me know.

And yeah, me too on Albert Nobbs. Can’t wait.

8. Trisha says
    06 October 11 at 5:46pm

Hey Meghan I live in the states and haven’t been able to get my hands on a physical copy of Shelter so I hunted down a torrent copy on the internet and that is how i found my copy. If you have some kind of program that downloads music or something like FrostWire you can get a good copy that is how I got mine!! Hope you get a copy and I hope you enjoy Shelter as well as Albert Nobbs!!

9. Sheri says
    09 October 11 at 2:25pm

Trisha – I wonder why it would be released here but not there? Glad you found a copy though. :D

10. Trisha says
    15 October 11 at 7:22pm

Who knows why not most likely a bunch of film company blabber and perhaps a total lack of faith in a film that is different and has talent but may not produce the money, well if that is the case then there should be a standard if the movie has next to no chance of making any money why make it? If more people took Woody Allen’s take on film making then maybe the film industry both US & Europe would not be so boring/hypocritical!!! I mean in short terms if you can’t get the best people and the best script wait till you can and then shoot the film. Shelter was well done and a great cast and the fans in the US should have been able to see it in theaters. And I am too because it was a treat of a film in that it showed Jonny stretching himself as an actor who is willing to do something different. I just hope and pray the same thing doesn’t happen to Belle Du Seigneur.