Update on Jonathan’s airport incident from last month:
Charges against Rhys Meyers dropped
Wednesday, 5 December 2007
Actor Jonathan Rhys Meyers has had the public order charges against him withdrawn by the Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP).
The charges stemmed from the actor’s arrest at Dublin Airport on 18 November, where he was accused of being drunk in public and behaving in a manner that was threatening and abusive.
Lawyers for the DPP said this morning at Dublin District Court that the charges would be withdrawn and Mr Rhys Meyers could be dealt with under the Adult Caution Scheme.
This scheme allows for an adult to be cautioned and means that the actor will not be convicted of any offences…
Charges dropped against Rhys-Meyers
Public order charges against troubled Hollywood star Jonathan Rhys-Meyers have been dropped before a court…
A solicitor for the Director of Public Prosecutions told Judge Angela Ni Chonduin the State did not wish to proceed with the charges, but would deal with the case through the adult cautioning scheme.
Michael Staines, solicitor for Meyers, accepted the caution on behalf of the Cork-born film star, who also offered to make a undisclosed donation to a charity, not named in court.
“My client, nonetheless, instructed me to say he absolutely accepts his behaviour was unacceptable and out of character,” said Mr Staines.
“He unreservedly apologises, in particular, to British Midland staff, to security staff and gardaÃƒÂ.”
Because no charges were brought by the State, Meyers escapes without any criminal record.