Articles

Jonathan Rhys Meyers
New Woman, December 2007

He’s not handy round the house, but the Irish actor sure gives good shoe

When you first start seeing someone it’s a fantastic adventure. You can be the person you’ve always wanted to be. For a while anyway. But it only becomes a real relationship when you see one another’s flaws and love each other regardless.

I miss having a girlfriend but I haven’t got time to do much about it. All I do right now is work, so I’ve been single for a few months.

It’s best not to bed your leading lady on the first day of rehearsals. Especially if your roles require sexual chemistry. Sleeping together spoils it. Maybe that’s why I haven’t dated an actress for nine years.

I got bored of one-night stands when I was about 26. They were fun when I was young but now I’m 30 I think they’re meaningless and dull. I won’t say how many I’ve had. It could be two, it could be 200.

Lazy women are a turn-off. I like smart, ambitious, career-minded women. But I don’t have a physical type.

I’d like to have a family sometime soon. It would be great to have kids, but not too many. I don’t want to be like The Waltons.

I think women want a man who’s going to come over and fix their broken fence. I’m not very handy and I’m a selfish boyfriend, but I’m great at buying gifts. I bought my last girlfriend lots of shoes, including Louboutins and Jimmy Choos.

I’ve been dumped and I’ve dumped people. Both are hard. The toughest part about dumping someone is the inevitable regret when you see them at a party 18 months later and they look fantastic.

Jonathan stars in August Rush, out this month.

Special thanks to Rhiannon for transcribing this article.

1. Jenni Hockenhull says
    21 November 07 at 5:47am

Im currently watching him in The Tudors – have fallin’ in love he’s gorgeous!!

2. CRB says
    26 November 07 at 3:24am

I watch him religiously every Friday night in “The Tudors”, and I love the role he’s playing and I just wished it was me playing Ann Boleyn :o)
    He’s a great actor, extremely good looking and I’m sure has a great personality to go with it, its a shame I’ll never get to know this man on a different level, but thats life, huh!

3. Eileen Sundstrom says
    26 November 07 at 9:12am

I am old enough to be his grandmother, but still appreciate a good actor who also is very physically good looking. I am so tired of the past trend of very good actors in odd looking physical shapes. When I was young 40′s and 50′s a leading man was gorgeous and the funny looking ones were character actors,usually short. I hope the trend is changing and I am looking forward to more great roles for Mr. Rhys -Meyers.

4. Jade says
    19 December 07 at 8:21am

He is the hottest actor out there. I hope he wins the Golden Globe.

5. Vanessa says
    08 January 08 at 6:53am

I never thought I would be surfing on the internet for an actor, so this means JRM has rocked me. He is an amazing actor. I’m from Bolivia and I really love this actor and his career.

6. lilly says
    15 January 08 at 9:37am

Ahah, same for me, Vanessa –’

hmm… i think i’ll move to london – he’s single, i’m not an actress & i love shoes.

7. CQ07 says
    04 February 08 at 8:35am

This man is a hilarious. Its sooooo true – when u see ur ex out and they look fit u wonder why the hell you broke up with them in the first place. Ah we laugh!!

8. ROSALIE says
    25 March 08 at 11:35am

I ‘ve seen him in a few movies, but i think he is cute in August Rush, and Tudors.

9. Angie says
    28 March 08 at 9:43pm

Ah, Jonny, so cheeky. His personality is very attractive, and naughty as can be from interviews. But yeah, seeing an ex is always a *headdesk*

They always seem more beautiful or handsome in that moment. But life goes on.

10. Angel says
    04 December 08 at 9:23am

I didnt get a chance to see August Rush when it came out, but I rented it 2 weeks ago, and I am still blown away. Its the first movie that I have ever seen you in, and I watched it 3 times. I have been searching the internet trying to find out about you and your music. I am sure you hear this all the time but you are amazing, both gorgeous and talented….. – And hey not all women want handy men, some of us like to do it ourselves *wink* Have a Merry ’08 Christmas! And Happy New Year!

11. Ana says
    14 June 11 at 10:26am

If this was published in Dec 2007, how come the first comment is from Nov 2007? Just wondering.

22 June 11 at 10:06am

The magazine came out in November even though it was for the month of December… that’s how magazines often work.